MASJED-I-NO. (The New Mosque)
The name of this mosque in ancient times was the Atabak mosque, but since it was damaged several times in the years 1138 AH (1789 AD) and 1269 AH (1852 AD) by severe earthquakes, and Was rebuilt a new one, it became known as The New Mosque, and in fact is the largest mosque, which was built in Iran, as its compound alone measures 148.50 meters by 47.90, so has an area of 11122 , 65 square meters. If the area covered by the buildings that form the domes, pillars and colonnades of the mosque are included in the complex, the total area will be 19599.78 square meters.
The first building began in 597 AH (1201 AD) by Atàbak Sa'ad ben Zangi, King of the Fars, and was completed in the year 610 AH (1218 AD), and as the author of Shiraznàmeh , The mosque was originally the Anderún (women's apartment) of Atàbak. In gratitude for the recovery of his only daughter from a serious illness, he turned it into a mosque.
On the four sides of the mosque, high gates (aivàn) were built. Those to the north and south are flanked by a colonnade of twelve smaller arches, but the porches to the east and west are flanked by six arches on each side. Behind the south porch is a large and large pillar room, used for prayer and preaching in the summer.
The current mosque is devoid of any decoration and faience that is worth noting, but from the architectural point of view, roofs in the form of a cannon, and especially porches at their great height, attract attention and are impressive . It can be assumed that the original building was decorated with colored tiles, which were destroyed by the various earthquakes, and that subsequent builders are not concerned with replacing faience.
The New Mosque attracts the sun in winter, and the summer has shade and pleasant air, and the old plane trees in the middle of the mosque add to the fresh and cool atmosphere.
As the author of the Farsnameh-ye Naseri writes, this mosque has been repaired and restored several times. Once in the year 995 A. H. (1586 AD) Khvàjeh Sa'sdullàh ben Shirazi, known as Shah Navàz Khan, Chief Minister of the Deccan in India; And about 180 years later, Sàdeq Khan, Karim's brother opposite, suffered damage caused by an earthquake, except for the large arcade to the west, the entrance hall that surrounds it and Of the drum room behind it, all the rest was destroyed. In the year 1271 A. H. (1854 A. D.) Hajji Ali Akbar Qavàm ulMulk Shirazi undertook the restoration.
Atabak Sa'ad ben Zangi, builder of the New Mosque is the same king who built a mosque around the tomb of Gyrus in Pasargadæ, where the lintel on the main entrance still bears the date and name of the builder, but The other pieces were demolished. Sa'adi lived at the time of this king.